Tuesday 22 March 2016

Who said you can't be always happy?


 http://quotespictures.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/seven-steps-to-happiness-happiness-quote.jpg


Perhaps the main point of contention here is to ensure that you do not allow your happiness to be contingent upon something.

For example, don't tell yourself that "If only I could get into grad school, I would be so happy!"

You can still be happy now, pursuing a place in grad school. Sure, you might experience a burst of elation upon seeing that grad school acceptance letter, but you are only limiting yourself if you think that you can't be happy NOW.

Because when you get into grad school, you'll think to yourself: "If only I could get into a PhD program, I would be so happy!"

And then: "If only I could get tenure, I would be so happy!"

It will never end. There will always be SOMETHING.

Also, from experience, you have to recognize that your happiness will have ebbs and flows. My mistake in my early-mid 20s was allowing a period of decline in my happiness to become more permanent than it needed to be.

If I was ever unhappy, I would go into bouts of excessive rumination and over-analysis about the cause of my unhappiness, without realizing that "This, too, shall pass."

I've realized now that sometimes you just have to let things roll.

Life has ups and downs. You can't change that. If you allow your "downs" to define who you are instead of just running with it and allowing it to pass, then you'll impose permanent unhappiness onto yourself.


YOUR HAPINESS DEPENDS ON YOU AND YOU ALONE, NO ONE ELSE!!!

comment and share to enlighten a friend !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment